Guide to Bathroom 3-in-1 Heater, Light & Exhaust Units
The golden rule for every bathroom in countries with four seasons is good lighting, appropriate ventilation, and warm comfortable heating. The most efficient way to achieve these three basic elements is through a 3-in-1 Bathroom Heater, Exhaust and Light unit. Given that we spend a good amount of time in the bathroom every day, it is worth the investment to make this essential part of our daily life as pleasant as possible.
What is 3-in-1 Bathroom Heater, Exhaust and Light Unit?
3 in 1 bathroom unit is essentially a compact, all in one lighting, heating, and ventilation solution for your bathroom. It consists of three parts that can be operated separately – the infrared heating bulbs produce instant heat; the built-in exhaust extracts steam and moisture in the room; and the lamps provide a good source of light.
The Benefits of 3-in-1 Bathroom Heater, Exhaust, and Light Unit
3 in 1 bathroom unit is a simple and inexpensive way to add luxury to your bathroom. Aside from making your bathroom much more comfortable in the winter, these smart inventions are simple to use and reduce clutter. It is an excellent space saving solution that requires just one power point to perform all three functions. This means you won’t have to install a heater, a lighting fitting, and an exhaust fan separately.
Here are the summary of the benefits of 3 in 1 bathroom units:
- Excellent value for money
- All in one lighting, heating and ventilation solution
- Easy to install in either a new home or retrofitted to an existing bathroom
- Space saving and reduce clutter
How to Choose Between Different Types of 3 in 1 Bathroom Unit
3 in 1 bathroom heater, exhaust and light units come in a variety of shapes, forms and price points to suit different budget and personal preferences. Here are the 4 things to consider when choosing a 3 in 1 bathroom unit.
#1. Heat Output
The first step is to consider how much heat will be required for the size of your bathroom. 3 in 1 bathroom units come in two primary configurations – two heat lamps (2 × 275 wattage) or four heat lamps (4 × 275 wattage). Another popular design consists of one large heat lamp in the centre of the unit, which is equivalent to the standard four heat lamps units.
Two heat lamps are sufficient for most small bathrooms while four heat lamps are suitable for medium to large bathrooms. It is worth noting that a more powerful heater will attain the desired temperature quicker.
#2. Light Output
Light output is another important consideration when deciding which bathroom 3 in 1 unit to buy. Cheaper options usually come with halogen globes, while newer units are now equipped with LED globes. Whenever possible, aim for one equipped with LED globes as they are brighter, more energy efficient and last much longer than halogen globes.
#3. Exhaust Fan Output
Exhaust fan output determines the effectiveness of the unit to pull the steam and moisture out of the bathroom, thereby preventing the growth of mould and mildew. Read here for more information about exhaust fan output.
#4. Choice of colour
Should you get the silver or white colour? While this is mostly up to personal preference, here is our personal take on this dilemma:
- White blends better with the ceiling and thus will achieve a more streamlined look.
- Silver is more standout and will look very smart when colour coordinated with the rest of the silver, chrome or stainless steel hardware in the bathroom. Silver colour may age better overtime as dust particles are harder to spot.
3 Tips to Reduce Running Cost of Bathroom Heating
While it is absolute heaven to step into a warm and toasty bathroom in winter, it is still important to keep the electricity bills in check. Here are some actions you can take when you own a 3 in 1 bathroom unit:
- There is no need for preheating – the heat lamps give off radiant heat. This means they warm objects and people rather than the surrounding air. This stops the heat from being sucked away by the exhaust fan.
- Choose a 3 in 1 bathroom unit that is appropriate for the size of your bathroom. Too small and you need to run a lot longer and too large will produce too much heat.
- Turn it on only when you are in the bathroom – Make a habit of switching the heater function on only after you get out of the shower. Remember the heat is instant and no preheating is required.
Bathroom Unit Accessories
For added convenience, you can consider upgrading to an LCD remote control kit to replace the standard wall switch. It is great for when you have a larger bathroom.
Heated towel rails are another inexpensive luxury to your bathroom, ensuring that you will always have a warm towel ready to wrap around yourself when you step out of the shower.